Halloween Safety Tips for Pets

  1. As with other holidays and celebrations, keeping chocolate away from pets is a must. Chocolate can potentially produce clinical effects ranging from vomiting and diarrhea to panting, excessive thirst and urination, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures and even death in severe cases. White chocolate has the lowest toxic methylxanthine content, while baking chocolate contains the highest. While white chocolate may not have the same potential as darker forms to cause a methylxanthine poisoning, the high fat content of lighter chocolates could still lead to vomiting and diarrhea, as well as the possible development of life-threatening pancreatitis, an inflammatory condition of the pancreas.  
  2. Do not let your dog eat any type of candy. Candy made with artificial sweeteners, especially ones made with Xylitol, are toxic to dogs. If you think you dog has eaten something toxic, please contact us or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 1-888-426-4435.
  3. Costumes are the best part of Halloween for most children and adults, but for our pets, they can be very frightening. If you do decide to dress up your pet, please remember these important pointers: a.) Make sure your pet isn’t near an open flame or fireplace; b.) Watch for tripping hazards, choking hazards, etc; c.) If your dog wears a mask or head piece, make sure he can see easily and is comfortable; d.) Never leave a dressed up animal unsupervised!   
  4. Trick or Treaters equal open doors. Keep your pets away from doors and make sure they are wearing their collars with current tags at all times. To get your dog or cat licensed or up to date, please contact your county or city animal control for licensing fees and information. 
  5. Watch for foil and plastic candy wrappers! Pets could eat them and choke or get sick. 
  6. Events like Halloween can be stressful for pets. Keep them inside and comfortable. Some children may be more adventurous while wearing a mask and teasing can often occur through gates or fences. 
  7. Watch open flames around wagging tails. A powerful tail can knock over a candle or jack-o-lantern. 
  8. Though lights and mechanical ghouls can be a treat for your guests, an animal could get quite a shock if they chew on them. Leave all electrical wires, cords and decorations out of the reach of your pets. 
  9. Leave your furry friends at home. Though this night is a great time for families to trick-or-treat together, an animal can be easily startled by costumes and loud noises, so although they may want to join in, taking them out with you is not a good idea.